Today is my Dad's birthday (hence the 'Wattsie')!!  Therefore, I am going to dedicate this post to him.  He is now a large 60 years old.  Not being there before, I would not know what it would be like to be that age (remember when you were a kid and considered 60 to be, like, ancient?) - I still have another 28 years to go 'til I am THAT age!

My Mum and Dad raised me to be accept other people, regardless of their race, colour, religion or denomination.  Growing up where I did in a small community kept me a little sheltered to the 'outside' world, even though I travelled into the nearest larger town nearly every weekend during hockey (field) season and had contact with other kids from there then.  I like to think that I am still the same person today, just that society has changed the way I see some people these days.

After Mum passed away in 1993 of cancer, Dad became our rock.  Although we all went our separate ways in an attempt to 'deal' with things, I like to think that Dad was still there for us in a large way.....even though we didnt express our feelings very often or stuff like that, it was just nice to know that he would be there, should I have needed him.

Dad has always been the 'quiet parent'.  However, I always knew when he didnt approve of something that I was thinking about doing or had done....just from the expression on his face or the tone of his voice.  A few times over the years, I have turned to him and told him that I have mucked up and he has given me the look of, 'I knew you would'.  For that I am thankful - he has let me make and learn from my own mistakes.  He hasnt stuck his nose in where it is not wanted (never has to anyone, as far as I know) and has never given unwanted advice.  Any advice he HAS given has been given with the expectation of us making up our own minds. 

I love my Dad for who he is - a gentle man.  My Mum was the outspoken one in our family.  He has put up with a lot shit over the years around the place (not that HE tells me...I have to hear it from someone else!), but always seems to come up with a smile or joke.  He may be a difficult person to talk to at times when it comes to other people in the family or close friends (for example....not letting us know that someone has gotten married or someone has passed away or similar), but that is my Dad - and I am slowly learning to ask questions to get inside his brain.


My favourite picture from Christmas just gone - Taking his shoes off at the bottem of the stairs with William.

0 comments: